Monday, June 12, 2006

A Walmart Incident

Now, I realize that something with that title probably conjures up negative connotations in most minds. It would in mine. But I am happy to report that today's "Walmart Incident" was surprisingly positive. (Trust me, I wouldn't waste my time posting about Walmart if it weren't. :))

Mom, Rose and I were in Wally World this afternoon, carrying with us scrumptious shakes from Spangles. As we passed by the entry/exit on our way from one section of the store to the other, the door greeter - a man of about 55 - asked us, "Where's mine??" about the shakes. We laughed and walked on, but he continued speaking to us: "Anyway, you girls look very nice... because you're dressed like GIRLS and not like men!" He was most emphatic about it and very pleased to see us in skirts. We thanked him and moved on, marveling all the while. It can be so refreshing to be reminded (unexpectedly like that) that skirts really are appreciated. God bless that man... he happened to be the same one who wished Rose and me a good day as we were leaving Walmart on Saturday and then added, "And be careful out there." I don't know if we looked accident-prone ;) or rather vulnerable because of our dresses or merely like ladies, who indeed need protection. At any rate, both comments of his were kind... and refreshing.

However, the once-in-a-lifetime pleasantness, civility, and decency that we experienced at Walmart today didn't end with him. As we reached the van to leave, I went around to the passenger side but the gentleman in the driver's seat of the car next to us (to the right of the van) was just getting out. He said, "Oh, I'm sorry, dear!" (Or perhaps, "Oh, excuse me, dear!" I don't quite remember now.) I assured him that he was quite alright and waited for him to get out of the car. Being an older man of 70-something, it was taking him just a minute longer than it would take someone younger, so he said, "Give me a minute, please, while I get a running start." :) When he was on his feet, he turned and closed his door and then reached and opened mine, waited until I got in, and shut the door... and then went on his way.
It was amazing. There actually is just the last gasp of civilization left in this decrepit world!!

But I feel sure that neither incident would have happened had we not been wearing skirts. A woman in pants sends out the message that she's as good as any man and certainly doesn't need his help. I can not imagine either of those gentleman being "permitted" to act as they did today, by the average public school, teenage girl. They may not have attempted to at all, and I am sure the former would not have gone out of his way to compliment their clothing habits.

What a world we live in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these inspiring incidents, Monnie. It never hurts to give (or receive!) encouragement for doing the right thing.